Iridesce Sent
 

 
Twists and Turns of Phrase ::

iridesce at gmail dot com ::
 
 
 
About Me



Subscribe to My Site Feeds:
FeedBurner


Know; Correspond With; Love:
Something More Than a Machine

Know; Correspond With; Like:
I Am Tetsu Maiku!

Foxxtail

Frenetic License

Knock-Off Brand Root Beer Can

Penultima Thule

Dan Stutzbach

Welcome Consumer

Don't Know; Correspond With; Like:
The Dayree of Pritcher Littlebarn

James and the Blue Cat

Not Falling Down

Something Requisitely Witty and Urbane

Don't Know; Don't Correspond With; Like:
Defective Yeti

Dooce

Extended Cake Mix

Kottke

Mighty Girl

Mimi Smartypants

Oblivio

Que Sera Sera

This Afternoon in Drama

Geekery:
Astronomy Picture of the Day

Boing Boing

Engadget

Futurismic

Gizmodo

Neural

Popgadget

Slashdot

Wired News

Art and Design:
Apartment Therapy

Design Sponge

Funfurde

MoCo Loco

Sensory Impact

Shopping:
Amazon

Elsewares

Mark & Larry's Stuff

Mighty Goods

Wishing Fish

 
 
Sunday, April 23, 2006
 
::TITANIUM LINING::

On the flip side, the wreck occurred as Austin and I were returning from a celebratory dinner.

Monday evening, after weeks of searching, annotating, calculating, pro-and-conning, hoping, and compromising, we had four more properties to look at. To set the stage: we were almost decided about another, less cool, SoCo loft (primary problem: it only had about 650 usable square feet, so we'd need to get rid of 2/5 of our furniture; secondary problem: the walls were all shades of mustard yellow and the floor's concrete was painted; tertiary problem: it cost $1000/mo, more than the original "dream SoCo" place).

First up? The Adam Hats Building and Futura Lofts, both managed by the same property company. They're both in Deep Ellum (oh look, there's Adam Hats on its main page!), though Futura's in the east and Adam Hats is more on the interface between Deep Ellum and downtown. I got to Adam Hats first, so I had them show me the available unit while Austin commuted. We'd already seen the floorplan as it existed in the basement (ack!), so its layout wasn't too big a surprise to me. I asked the current resident what the utilities were, and -- here's where things got interesting -- he said, "It's never been over $240." My mind started spinning. Sealed concrete floors, two walls of windows (about 20' and 40' long, with cellular shades), double sinks in the bathroom, the most glorious view of downtown I've ever seen from a window.

Austin joined me at Futura Murray and Continental lofts, and while he seemed pretty enchanted, I was unenthused. We went back to Adam Hats.

He stepped inside the loft, and I was pleased to see he was as impressed as I, and that the SoCo one was no longer a factor. He loved the unpainted concrete floors and the view. It also has things like a dishwasher, a bathtub, any windows (much less a view), an onsite fitness center, access to a pool down the street, and full-size WD hookups that our current place (which I love) lacks. A true step up.

It's the building whose lofts I have coveted since high school (well, this one and 2220 Canton, but now they have ugly apartments built all the way around them, forever occluding downtown views). It's the building everyone knows because it's so visible. It's the one on the southwest corner. Third floor. Literally the closest one to the freeway. Our unit will be the one I've pointed to dozens of times, saying, "I wish I could live there."

And now I will. We get the keys May 14.
Comments:
I thought it was May 12?
 

Yeah, it is.
 

Post a Comment

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Iridesce. Make your own badge here.
 

Home  |  Archives  
Site Meter