Iridesce Sent
 

 
Twists and Turns of Phrase ::

iridesce at gmail dot com ::
 
 
 
About Me



Subscribe to My Site Feeds:
FeedBurner


Know; Correspond With; Love:
Something More Than a Machine

Know; Correspond With; Like:
I Am Tetsu Maiku!

Foxxtail

Frenetic License

Knock-Off Brand Root Beer Can

Penultima Thule

Dan Stutzbach

Welcome Consumer

Don't Know; Correspond With; Like:
The Dayree of Pritcher Littlebarn

James and the Blue Cat

Not Falling Down

Something Requisitely Witty and Urbane

Don't Know; Don't Correspond With; Like:
Defective Yeti

Dooce

Extended Cake Mix

Kottke

Mighty Girl

Mimi Smartypants

Oblivio

Que Sera Sera

This Afternoon in Drama

Geekery:
Astronomy Picture of the Day

Boing Boing

Engadget

Futurismic

Gizmodo

Neural

Popgadget

Slashdot

Wired News

Art and Design:
Apartment Therapy

Design Sponge

Funfurde

MoCo Loco

Sensory Impact

Shopping:
Amazon

Elsewares

Mark & Larry's Stuff

Mighty Goods

Wishing Fish

 
 
Wednesday, January 18, 2006
 
::RADICAL NEW APPROACHES::

Last night, I attended Sir Roger Penrose's talk at UTD entitled "Before the Big Bang: A Radical New Perspective." Imagine a fairly large auditorium, filled to the gills with geeks. Standing room only. About 50 people stood in the back through the whole lecture. Excellent.

I sat next to two septegenarian gentlemen; when one sat down, his friend said to him, "Bennie, I'm going to have to tell your wife you sat next to a pretty young lady!" Awww.


Now, I'm pretty smart. Some people might say that I'm really smart. I grok "light cones" and entropy. I laugh at the math jokes. But after about an hour, when Penrose started diagramming spacetime in these new shapes with squiggly/dashed/lined edges and filled/closed apeces, I was lost.
Comments:
I like his handwriting. It's very DIY Comic Sans for an internationally acclaimed physician.

On another note, I still insist that, given the opportunity, I tile a floor with Penrose Tiles.
 

Check out this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0195145925

Time is merely a figment of our consciousness. The concept of time is completely unnecessary in physics.
 

Post a Comment

 

 
   
  This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Iridesce. Make your own badge here.
 

Home  |  Archives  
Site Meter